Should you talk to a doctor before you start this Challenge?
If you are new to exercise, we recommend you answer the questions given below. If you are between the ages of 15 and 69 the questionnaire will tell you if you should check with a doctor before you start. If you are over 69 years of age and you are not used to being active, check with your doctor.
- Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by the doctor?
- Do you ever feel pain in your chest when you do physical exercise?
- Have you ever had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
- Do you ever feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Do you have a joint problem that could be made worse by exercise?
- Have you ever been told that you have high blood pressure?
- Are you currently taking any medication which could impact on you exercising?
- Are you pregnant, or have you had a baby in the past six months?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not participate in exercise?
If you answered Yes to one of more questions:
Talk to your doctor by phone or in person, before you start the Row-a-Fun. Tell your doctor about this questionnaire (known as the Par-Q Pre-Exercise Questionnaire) and to which question(s) you answered Yes.
You may be able to do any activity you want - as long as you start slowly and build up gradually. Or, you may need to restrict your activities to those that are safe for you. Talk with your doctor and about your interest in taking part in the Row-a-Fun and follow their professional advice.
If you have answered No to all questions:
You can be reasonably sure that you can start becoming more physically active and taking part in a suitable exercise programme. Begin slowly and build up gradually. This is the easiest way to exercise. Check out the instruction videos for guidance on how to row safely.
If you feel unwell because of a temporary illness such as a cold or fever, wait until you feel better before resuming your rowing programme.
If your health changes so that subsequently you answer Yes to any of the above questions, discuss with your doctor immediately, and ask whether you should change your exercise plan.
Ready to start rowing?
Your Challenge Administrator has a form for you to sign, where you can declare that you're fit and ready to start rowing.